Maxwell R. Jones represents plaintiffs and defendants in complex litigation.
Max has successfully litigated and arbitrated cases involving asset purchase agreements, breaches of fiduciary duty and trust, civil RICO, construction claims, contract disputes, environmental suits, fraud, and other business torts. Clients have called on Max when their business and personal reputations are on the line before juries, judges, and arbitrators.
Max also represents individuals in tort cases involving catastrophic injury.
Before joining the firm, Max served in a variety of public service roles: as legal counsel for the Georgia Judicial Qualifications Commission, as a law clerk for the Honorable Eleanor L. Ross of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia, and as an extern for former Georgia Supreme Court Chief Justice Harold Melton. Most recently, Max was a managing associate in the commercial litigation group of the largest law firm in the world.
Max received his juris doctor from the Georgia State University College of Law, graduating summa cum laude. Max was also inducted into the Order of the Coif and served as the Editor in Chief of the Georgia State University Law Review. Max completed his undergraduate studies at Sewanee: The University of the South, graduating cum laude. While at Sewanee, Max was also a captain of the football team and an all-conference player.
Outside of the office, Max is active on the Board of Directors for Mission Workforce, a charity that is devoted to providing mission trip funding. Max lives in the Kirkwood neighborhood of Atlanta, and enjoys spending time with his two dogs, golfing, hiking, and cycling, when time permits.
- Ethical Pitfalls and Precautions for In-House Counsel: Who’s Your Client?, 12 Int’l In-House Counsel J. 48 (2019) (with Douglas Balyeat and Gregory Brow)
- The Alien Tort Statute and Corporate Liability: Rebutting the Extraterritorial Presumption Post-Kiobel, 32 Ga. St. U.L. Rev. 699 (2016)
- SB 99 – Criminal Procedure: Conduct of Criminal Trial Proceedings, 32 Ga. St. U.L. Rev. 91 (2015) (with Mary Emily Kinshaw)
- Georgia State University School of Law
- Juris Doctor (J.D.), summa cum laude
- Order of the Coif
- Editor in Chief, Georgia State University Law Review
- Sewanee: The University of the South
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), cum laude