225 Peachtree St, N.E.
Atlanta, GA 30303
Shattuck “Tucker” Ely
SHATTUCK (“TUCKER”) ELY is a trial lawyer focusing on the representation of policyholders in insurance coverage disputes. He handles insurance coverage cases around the country and has successfully tried cases to judges, juries, and arbitration panels. Tucker has been elected as a Fellow of the American College of Coverage and Extracontractual Counsel and is listed in the Best Lawyers of America (2017) in Insurance Law. In addition to being listed as a SuperLawyer since 2005, Tucker has been selected for inclusion in the list of the Top 100 Georgia SuperLawyers on four occasions. Tucker has also received a Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating of “AV Preeminent.“
Tucker regularly represents policyholders in disputes with their insurance carriers. Tucker has recovered more than $125 million for his clients under a variety of insurance policies, including commercial general liability, professional liability, D&O, employment practices liability, commercial property, and builders risk policies. Representing a wide range of clients, from governmental entities and international corporations to individuals, Tucker has obtained coverage for claims relating to construction defects, employment practices, intellectual property, environmental and toxic tort liability, business interruption, and first party property losses from flood, fire, and other causes. In addition to advising policyholder clients, Tucker has extensive experience in insurance coverage litigation and has successfully tried coverage cases to verdict. Representative cases include:
- Defense verdict for policyholders on an insurer’s suit to recoup a $10 million payment.
- Obtained summary judgment for the FDIC establishing coverage under a failed bank’s D&O policies.
- Jury verdict securing $6 million in insurance coverage for interstate petroleum pipeline company’s environmental liabilities after a three-week trial. Verdict upheld by the Alabama Supreme Court.
- Recovered $1.875 million from excess insurer in a case involving allegations of the negligent failure to settle a wrongful death claim.
- Jury verdict finding coverage for fire loss based on oral binder of insurance.
- In pro bono case for community theater, obtained judgment against broker for failing to properly place coverage.
- Recovered all defense costs and policy limits for sexual harassment claims under a nonprofit directors & officers policy after an initial denial of coverage by the insurer.
In addition to his insurance recovery practice, Tucker represents corporate and individual clients in a variety of business disputes. Tucker has handled cases involving contractual disputes, business torts, breaches of fiduciary duties, misappropriation of trade secrets, and fraud. He has also represented clients in shareholder disputes, RICO cases, and trademark and trade dress cases. Tucker regularly speaks on insurance related topics and is actively involved in numerous professional and community organizations.
- Fellow, American College of Coverage & Extracontractual Counsel
- American Bar Association, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee
- Professional Liability Subcommittee, Co-chair 2006-2008
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Board of Directors 2006-2007
- Executive Committee 2006-2007
- Atlanta Council of Younger Lawyers, President 2006-2007, Board of Directors 2001-2007
- Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation, Board of Directors, 2006-2007
- Lawyers Club of Atlanta
- Lamar Inn of Court, Barrister 2002-2005, Master 2008-
- Atlanta Associates’ Campaign for Legal Services, Co-chair 2005-2006
Tucker graduated with a B.A. in History from Emory University in 1994. He received his J.D., cum laude, from Georgetown University Law Center in 1997.